Thursday, January 13, 2011

Happy Animals- Jambo Kenya!

Mahatma Gandhi used to say The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Now not sure this refers to all animals (wild or not) but it kind of makes you wonder if stuffing an animal with chemicals to get more meat, still qualifies some very well developed countries as "moral". But luckily there are places in this world where I think animals are pretty happy!

While in Kenya (you can check some photos here) I had the chance to visit the Lake Nakuru Park and see
flamingos, giraffes, cape buffaloes, Deffassa waterbucks, Thomson's and grant’s gazelles, impalas, 2 lions, warthogs, olive baboons, reedbucks, white and black rhynos and not sure if also dik diks.



I must admit that as a child I used to spend all my vacations at my grandma, feeding cows or trying to catch rabbits in the forest. Not sure about my cow but for me it was a happy feeling. Now when I think about going in a safari (which btw is a term originating in Swahili- the language spoken also in Kenya and it means "long journey")...I think it is kind of wrong, cause I am sure it is no fun for an animal to hear all the jeeps rushing from a viewpoint to another and be afraid of crossing their paths. The only positive thing is that we kind of learn to respect them and pay a high entrance fee which I hope it goes to feeding& protecting them.

Just a thought and some images...not sure how to measure animals' happiness or how to even define it, but at least treat them in a decent way without always hoping to see "a kill" during a safari and trying to instigate that.

No comments: