Thursday, September 2, 2010

Happymaking for the world

I had second thoughts about writing this entry today as I am still planning 2 happymaking trips to Rome and NY and I already have some ideas around how those posts would look like and be about :-) So stau tuned! BUT I got so excited about several events that I just had to post this now and not in 3 weeks when it was planned.

It's somehow work related and somehow happymaking related :-) Two years ago I applied for what I call the coolest idea a company can have. And is probably one of the most brilliant ideas IBM, my employer, ever had: a program where candidates from all over the world are being selected to work in international teams, somewhere outside their geography, for one month, for an NGO, small company or even a governmental agency. Something similar to the Peace Corps but specifically tailored to leadership development needs, cultural awareness, shaping Global Citizens and helping small communities grow. It's called the Corporate Service Corps! So for one month you still get paid to do something extraordinary, in an incredible place, with unique people. Not many companies invest in such programs and luckily about 500 IBMers have the chance to experience this every year and come back with a rich cultural experience and ready to use their newly gained skills to every day problems.

So last year I applied for this but didn't make it. This year I said, "let's try again", I still have the same dreams, I still want to save the world, I am still a Happymaker! So here I stand now, less than 20 days before going to Colombo, Sri Lanka, ready to embark in my first trip to Asia!

3 more paragraphs and I'm done for today :-)

1. So excited to meet get there- call it faith but few years ago I was reading a nice book where Ceylon was mentioned. Network was down so I got crazy finding Ceylon on the map. It was an old book so once internet was running again I discovered that the country is called today SRI LANKA. So here we met for the first time :-) "Faith" aspect number 2- I LOVE CINNAMON- so imagine that Ceylon comes from cinnamon :-) and the spice originates from this magical island at the foot of India. "Faith" aspect #3 we were having a chat with our friends and argueing what "serendipity" means...imagine is also related to Ceylon and I am looking forward to making my own discoveries there just like the princes of Serendip!

2.Together with a colleague from Portugal I have been assigned to work for World Vision Org in Colombo.I will post more about their wonderful work and how our support should help raise more awareness and trust in their presence in Sri Lanka. But if you want to know more about them you can follow them via twitter @worldvisionusa. Seems that the project will fit me like a glove! So excited about participating in anything it has to do with charity :-) And hey, even Hugh Jackman/ Wolverine did :-)



3. In less than 4 weeks I'll meet my new colleagues, the wonderful team and people from World Vision. We will get to work for a good cause but also meet local people, learn the Sinhala language hopefully and eat new things and learn new recipes ;-).

Taking my camera and laptop with me so stay tuned for some cool videos ;-)

Yours,
the happymaker

2 comments:

vflahert said...

Silvia, congratulations on being selected for CSC! I was on Turkey Team 4 and went to Gaziantep Turkey May 14-June 13, 2010. What an amazing opportunity and experience...so great to be a part of big blue IBM! I have a friend, Maria Roman, who is currently in Sri Lanka on a CSC assignment...so apparently your team will be Sri Lanka Team 2? Have fun preparing...I really believe the experience is what you make it!

Silvia said...

Yes, I am Sri Lanka 2 :-) and I keep smiling everytime I think about or prepare for my trip! Hope to get to meet Maria someday and exchange some impressions! Thanks for stopping by :-)