We all know the bad things for being unemployed: no money, no professional activity to add to your CV, etc. But let's try finding some good points also:
- you get SOME money
- more time to spend with the family, help kids around with homework a.o.
- more time to do some sport, run, gym, dance (activities you didn't have the time for- assuming they are free)
- a chance to think about what you want to do- maybe you were trapped in a boring job anyway so this would be a good time to think about what kind of job would suit you better. I know it may sound strange but some people won't ever quit a job unless they are getting fired. So think about what you want from life now!
- more time to build the skills you would need for the job you picked above :-) Eg. you decided you would like to switch from consultancy to programming> then start learning and programming, this way you can show your future employer you have some background. Same if you want to switch from HR to Marketing...just take some time and read some book so that you at least know what the 4Ps are :-)
- time to learn a new foreign language. It never hurts, really :-)
- more time for your existing hobbies or new ones: painting, music, watching movies, etc. Would name traveling also but this can be expensive :-) unless you have been fired from a manager position and have some savings.
- enjoy the time off- there are never enough days off and some of us never take vacation because of demanding jobs so consider this a longer vacation :-)
- help others: remember there are people doing worse, so if you got the time anyway give them a hand.
- eat regularly in case you weren't doing this while @work
Be happy and keep looking for a job ;-)