Friday, October 3, 2008

Anticipating happiness

Do we over evaluate happiness? Do we exaggerate in being happy about the future moments when we´ll consider that we´ll be happy? And if so then why? And would this be a bad thing?

Happiness is what we make of it, it´s true. They also say it doesn´t last forever. So as a normal reaction we try to make it last longer: anticipate it, plan it, emphasize it, enjoy it, share it with others, talk about it after its peak is long gone, remember it and the anticipating another happy moment again.

We live by pursuing happiness, bringing it to life and helping it grow, nursing it when it tends to disappear, teaching it how to be more mature. Just like a child happiness gets born and lives in us. So we can consider that it is our responsibility to raise it well. Do we also educate it? Do we teach happiness to make us happy? And if so what do we tell it?

I tell it that I need it, I tell it that it should grow up faster or slow down, that it shouldn't´t go (now I do sound like my mum so happiness must definitely be a child :-)). And then I wait for it to come and visit me just like an old father waiting for his son to come back home. So as an old father I make calls and write letters, plan the visit and cook a warm soup. It´s all there, our anticipation, our willingness to be happy.

I anticipate my boyfriend´s visit, my mum coming in December, me eating something sweet on Sunday, wearing my new boots and the Christmas Market...I anticipate being home for Christmas, making them all happy, sharing gifts, coming back and then going to another place...the spring...the sea in the summer...a cup of hot chocolate in September...a long planned happy life. And even things may not turn out the way we plan, we still plan them, think about new things that could make us happy and finally being happy.

This should be it :-) You´re counting the things that should make you happy in the next month, don´t you?

1 comment:

bogdan said...

Hope dies last. The hope of happiness lasts even longer :). I really like the way you think of hope as a being with which you interact :) it creates a very cuddly picture in my mind.