Went home last weekend and for the first time they lost my luggage. In order to avoid getting upset for this kind of happenings I have prepared a list of tips for happily taking a flight :-)
1. secure your luggage with a lock...a big one :-)
2. don't put the key in another luggage that you may loose...this would be really stupid but yet not impossible
3. put your name and contact data on your luggage...no idea how this can prevent you from losing it but it makes the people from the airline happier :-)
4. don't put "precious" objects in your luggage .... the smaller the loss the better :-))). In top 3 of things that disappear from your luggage are perfumes, cameras other electronics.
5. don't bother checking in, boarding or getting out first :-)....after all the plane does not leave until all passengers are in. unless you are somewhere shopping at the duty free and don't want to fly further.
6. be nice to airport staff ....you don't want to get delayed and loose your flight. They are also very creative...They asked me once : why am I flying to Germany, where do I work, what do I do there and who is my boss :-)))
7. don't make any jokes...planned or not :-) (this includes reading books named "How to survive to an airplane crash", "Building your own bomb", etc). I suppose watching LOST would be safe if they know the route does not cross an ocean :-)
8. be patient...don't think about what you could do while taking the flight but how much time you save by not driving. If you can calm down there are free drinks on board that could slightly help :-)
9. something that really pisses me off. If you can't off board earlier why not waiting with your seat belt on? I can understand some need to check their messages and turn on their phones or call their partners and mention how cool and busy they are cause they have just landed in X. So if you don't get that you CAN'T teleport yourself outside the plane earlier, then just do it for the kids :-)))
10. don't underestimate the airline...if you do loose something do as requested...file a complaint, etc. You may get lucky, find a very friendly airline and get your money reimbursed or receive a very nice replacement.